From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2019 19:21:57 -0400
It appears that, without indentures, the default condition for people of
African descent in Virginia became slavery for life.
In July 1640 Negro John Punch was ordered to serve for life, but the white
servants who ran away with him were sentenced to serve additional time after
the completion of their indentures.

Joseph Douglas Deal's research of the extensive Eastern Shore records
includes the sale of "Negro John" by Ann Littleton in June 1640.
The subject of time served does not appear in the many cases he relates of
Negroes who obtained their freedom in the mid-17th century.
Ann Littleton devised 13 "Negros and their increase" by her 1656 Northampton
County will.
Paul