From:
"Redmond, Edward James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 10:28:03 -0400
One of the better studies of the Smith map and its variant editions is Coolie Verner's "Smith's Virginia and its derivatives; a carto-bibliographical study of the diffusion of geographical knowledge", (London: Map Collectors' Circle, 1968) published in volume 5, issue 45, of the series.  See http://lccn.loc.gov/76414639 for additional bibliographic information.

The 40 page article includes Verner's transcription of Indian toponymy (place names) found on the map and an approximation of those village and river locations.

I have a .pdf of the relevant section and will be happy to provide as a reference resource to those who are interested and contact me directly. [log in to unmask]

Ed

Ed Redmond
Geography and Map Division
Library of Congress