From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:54:22 -0500
Greetings,

I'm trying to find out if anyone can point me towards resources regarding
the creation of Anglican/Episcopal/Established Church chapels on private
land during the second half of the 18th century in Virginia's Piedmont.

I'm looking for information on how they were created, whether their
creation involved the county government (ie, would always have been
recorded in deed or order books, etc.), or whether they were more informal.

Two examples are:
- a frame chapel on the hill above Lynch's (or Winston's) Ferry in Bedford
County (now Lynchburg) that is said to have been established circa 1765-68
and burned in 1802. Would have been a part of Russell Parish. Fell into
disuse as a church during/after the Revolution.
- a log chapel known as Rucker's or Harris Creek Church in Amherst County.
Founded by 1751 or so. Became St. Matthews, succeeded by Ascension in
Amherst CH. (Amherst County Historical Society says that the Reverend
Robert Rose had ”stations” or chapels constructed of logs including Maple
Run, Rucker’s Chapel, and Bent Creek.)

Basically, what I'm asking is if anyone has ideas on where, other than
county records, I should be looking for primary-source material on chapels
of this type.

Thanks in advance,

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith