From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:12:13 +0000
I don't think Jan Lewis' criticism stands or falls on the basis of her comment regarding Monticello as "above the clouds."  I've read the reviews of Henry's new book with some interest, but was unable to distinguish in them anything that he has added to the very fine analyses of slavery at Monticello produced by Lucia Stanton (some of it also written for a popular audience, and prominently available at Monticello).  Since I have not yet read the book, I can't draw my own independent conclusions--but part of Lewis' criticism is that Henry's book is derivative.  Lewis also makes a number of more substantial criticisms than that--including charges of misuse of evidence.
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor
Department of History, MSC 8001
James Madison University