From:
"Brooks, Vincent (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:52:26 +0000
According to:

Sawers, B. (2017). The Poll Tax before Jim Crow. The American Journal of Legal History, 57(2), 166–197, 259. https://www.jstor.org/stable/48545052

"From 1816 to 1850 there was no poll tax on free Blacks [in Virginia]."

This statement is footnoted: Act of December 21, 1814, 1814 VA Acts 3, 8; Tipton Ray Snavely, The Taxation of Negroes in Virginia, at 13 (1916).