From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:53:58 +0000
On Nov 28, 2022, at 8:49 AM, Brooks, Vincent <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Would the Bruton Parish Poorhouse have had a burial ground that might have

served as a potter's field?

Good suggestion.   Thanks.  One account, by Martha McCartney, vividly suggests the presence locally of the indigent, the ill, and the infirm…

https://research.colonialwilliamsburg.org/foundation/journal/Autumn00/poorhouse.cfm

And Martha’s earlier work for the Virginia DHR has even more detail, but suggests that an archeological survey of the property was largely of its surface features (any visible signs of graves would, I’m sure, have been recorded):

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/VLR_to_transfer/PDFNoms/099-0070_Nomination_REDACTED.pdf

The suggestion made me think too of those in the Asylum—but there are several cemeteries in town for those who died there—one just at (and likely under) the parking lot for the Center for State Courts, the other out S. Henry St.

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus, The College of William and Mary, in Virginia, Williamsburg  23187

Offset Your Carbon Footprint? Choose at https://tinyurl.com/5546274z

Control Methane?https://earthworks.org

Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.                 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."