From:
"Lois M. Leveen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2022 12:29:14 -0700
Having been in off-list conversations with various  folks who responded to this post, I neglected to thank those who replied to the list.  John Zaborney’s  *Slaves for Hire:  Renting Enslaved Laborers in Antebellum Virginia* (LSU Press, 2012) has arrived and is indeed an excellent source on slave hiring in general, as well as addressing this question in particular.
I highly recommend it!

-Lois

Lois Leveen, PhD
Portland OR 97214