From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:21:44 +0000
Good Morning Angie,

The Browns are most likely from Norfolk County/Norfolk Borough.  Best to my knowledge, there is only one region in Virginia where there has been a Norfolk and it has been in the Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and Norfolk City area.

I checked Norfolk County, Virginia tithables, 1766-1780 by Elizabeth Wingo.   https://worldcat.org/en/title/13377764  There is a James Brown in precinct containing the town of Portsmouth and area to New Mill Creek (probably now Deep Creek area) as of August 17th 1780. (page 284)  You can use the Land Tax Records for Norfolk County and Norfolk Borough (City) to help find out where the Browns were living.   They start in 1782.   https://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/landTax.asp

Research note:   Here is a rule of thumb based on what I have seen through the years I have been researching:  When the records say Norfolk, VA then it basically means Norfolk County.   Depending on the year, you are looking at a geographical area of Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Norfolk.  Records are now in Chesapeake's courthouse.  When you see "Norfolk, Norfolk, VA" or "Norfolk Borough", then you are dealing with the City of Norfolk.  Those records are located down the street at Norfolk's courthouse.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Troy

Troy Valos, MA, MSIS

Special Collections & Supervising Librarian

Sargeant Memorial Collection

Norfolk Public Library

235 East Plume Street

Norfolk, VA 23510