From:
Jeff Looney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:40:14 +0000
Regarding Terry Meyers's query about William Ludwell Lee's will:  In the context of a proposed free school for indigent people seeking a rudimentary education, and followed by " the elements of Mathematics and Geography are to be taught and such other branches of useful knowledge," I think that Lee was just saying that they should be taught to read and write, and that as a good patriot he is saying "American" rather than "English." That is, we're talking about teaching the basic "three Rs," nothing more complex or sophisticated than that.

My two cent worth. Jeff Looney

J. Jefferson Looney (he/him/his)

Daniel P. Jordan Editor of The Papers of Thomas Jefferson at Monticello

Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc.

Post Office Box 316

Charlottesville, Virginia 22902

(434)984-7526