From:
Terry Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 06:14:12 -0400
[pls. excuse cross-postings]

	For those perhaps interested in the College of William and Mary and
its involvement in slavery, I've posted at SSRN an essay that will
appear (in shortened form) in an inaugural volume of Occasional
Papers to be issued by the Lemon Project (http://www.wm.edu/sites/
lemonproject/?svr=web), an effort at the College to investigate its
history with regard to slavery and race.   In the meantime, the pre-
print is available:

Meyers, Terry L. , Thinking About Slavery at the College of William
and Mary (April 3, 2012). College of William & Mary Lemon Project
Occasional Paper, Forthcoming. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/
abstract=2033882

	"Thinking about Slavery at William and Mary" documents a more
extensive uneasiness about slavery at William and Mary in the 18th
and early 19th C than has generally been noticed.

	Seeing that uneasiness, I suggest, was made difficult by cultural
imperatives at the College and in Williamsburg from the post-
Reconstruction years into the 20th Century.  The result was an
institutional memory that suppressed not only ownership of a tobacco
plantation from 1718 to the end of the century but also the College's
foundational affiliation from 1760 with a school for the religious
education of black children free and enslaved; its awarding in 1791
an honorary degree to Granville Sharp; and its first application, in
1807, from a black to attend lectures.*

	Adding fuel to current fires, I trace Jefferson's hopes to get Notes
on the State of Virginia (1785) into the hands of every student at
the College even as he wished not to attract larger attention to his
position on ultimately emancipating the enslaved.

	* That letter itself may be of interest:  https://
digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/16301

Terry L.. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, College of William
and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia  23187              757-221-3932

		http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/

		http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html
        Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well,
we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.
             															 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."