From:
"Tarter, Brent" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2021 12:42:26 -0400
The biracial Virginia Convention of 1867-1868 wrote a remarkably democratic
constitution that granted the vote to African American men
but disfranchised and barred from public office all unrepentant supporters
of the Confederacy. The disfranchisement was so controversial that the
ratification referendum scheduled for 1868 was postponed for more than a
year. During the winter of 1868-1869, a committee of leaders of the
Conservative Party met in Washington with Republican congressional leaders
and President-Elect Grant. They worked out a compromise that allowed the
referendum to take place in July 1869. At that time, voters would have the
opportunity to accept or reject the two provisions that disfranchised
former Confederates and barred them from public office. On 6 July 1869,
voters rejected the clauses that limited the political rights of most of
the state’s former Confederates. They defeated Article III Section 1 Clause
4 that disfranchised former office holders 124,360 to 84,410 and the
paragraph in Article III Section 7 that barred them from office 124,715 to
83,458. Eligible voters ratified the new constitution by an overwhelming
vote of 210,585 to 9,136.

At the time of the ratification referendum, voters elected statewide
officials and members of the General Assembly, who in October 1869 ratified
the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments, which Congress required before it
would seat the state's senators and representatives in Congress. President
Grant signed the law that readmitted Virginia's members of  Congress in
January 1870, which had the effect of terminating military oversight of the
state government. No doubt, at least some white Virginians favorably viewed
Grant's willingness to allow the separate votes at the time of the
ratification of the constitution and his signature on the law that in
effect terminated that phase of Reconstruction in Virginia.

Richard Lowe's *Republicans and Reconstruction in Virginia, 1865-70* (1991)
has a pretty good account.

Brent Tarter