Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:44:28 +0000
From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I would guess that all of us on this list care about what it means to live in a free society, and about what it means to possess personal liberty.  Study of slavery stems organically from these concerns in the present.

As sociologists, political theorists, historians, and others who care about such matters have long known, in order to know what it is to be free, one must have some understanding of what it means to lack freedom.  This is one of the most basic points I take away from the scholarship of guys like Orlando Patterson, Christopher Tomlins, or David Brion Davis, just to name a few of the more important scholars who have studied these issues in the broadest terms.

One of the ways we understand what freedom means in the present, at least if we are to proceed as historians, is to think with care about what it has meant in the past to lack freedom.  Scholarly interest in plantation, chattel slavery is hardly anachronistic.  It stems from the fact that as engaged citizens in the present, we care deeply about liberty and freedom.  So long as we continue to care about these things, the study of chattel slavery will remain relevant and vital.

All best,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor