From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:43:44 -0400
John,

This may be a bit mixed up. The Corrotoman River is in Lancaster County, VA in the Northern Neck and was indeed the seat of Robert "King" Carter of that place. I can't speak to Cabell and Tucker families.

The grandson of Robert "King" Carter who emanicapted his numerous slaves on plantations all over Virginia was Robert "Councilor" Carter of Nomini Hall in Westmoreland County, VA. This is was recorded in his famous Deed of Gift ion 1791 in Norhumberland County District Court Order and Deeds 1789-1825, Part I, p. 232-236, Northumberland County Circuit Clerk's Office, Heathsville, VA.

You may be interested in reading about the mercurial (some would say mad) Robert Carter III in Andrew Levy's *The First Emancipator, The Forgotten Story of Robert Carter, The Founding Father Who Freed His Slaves* (NewYork: Random House, 2005).  However, Levy names not a single slave nor quotes any of the original document that free them.

For the details on the original Carter lands on the Corromtom, you should contact Robert Teagle at Historic Christ Church Foundation

http://www.christchurch1735.org/

He is the expert there. Please keep in mind there were two contemporary Carters in the early years of Lancaster County, both named John Carter. One was the father of Capt Thomas Carter and the other the father of Robert "King" Carter.  Again, I'd ask Robert Teagle about all that.

Craig Kilby
Lancaster,  VA

P.S.  It isn't often that the once-mighty Northern Neck gets much attention these days, so your query is very welcome news to this subscriber