From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:18:21 -0400
This might be a good time to remind our readers about the Lancaster County Estates Project, which abstracted all wills and estates from the period 1835-1865. This funded in part by a grant by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, and sponsored by the Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library. Over 3,000 slave records were abstracted (some of these of course were the same people being identified in various records from one generation/owner to the next, as well as anything else of genealogical of sociological interest.  All of this is now in a searchable and interactive on-line data base at:

http://mbwm.org/estates.asp

This is the "home page" for the data base. It contains an overview of the project and some interesting statistics. To actually USE datable clear on the "here" hot link in the second paragraph.  We found very few surnames in these records. However, an offshoot of this project was an article I wrote for The Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society about two bachelor brothers named Kelley, merchants of Kilmarnock, who emancipated 49 of their slaves in 1856 and sent them to Liberia. On the ships passenger list, not one of them used the surname Kelley, and they grouped by family structure with ages (As reported in *The African Repository* the organ for the American Colonization Society.

If anyone is interested in reading this article, it can be downloaded from my web site here:

http://www.craigkilby.com/publihed/

Craig Kilby