From:
Holly Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 15:56:15 EDT
In a message dated 2008/05/06 2:20:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Using accurate -- and updated -- subject headings helps people
> identify what they want to read, too.

Mary,

Definitely!  I've been deleting all the messages from the usual respondents,
because I've been on this list long enough to know who's going to say
what--over and over again.  And I'm not interested in reading it over and over again.
I've also learned which ones have intelligent discussions to contribute and
who backs it up with qualified research, instead of personal opinion.

But going back to the subject headings--as a librarian I'm conditioned to
think in terms of Library of Congress Subject Heading (LCSH).  And as one who has
catalogued hundreds (thousands?) of manuscript collections into MAchine
Readable Cataloguing (MARC), I've found that there are always some things that
puzzle me--they are not as intuitive as some people may think.

Classic example:
I'm one of the few people I know who routinely refer to the Tidewater
incident in 1831 as "Southampton Insurrection, 1831" because that was the accepted
LCSH.  Everyone else called it Nat Turner's Rebellion.  I always used the phrase
in the scope note so researchers would find it.  Most wouldn't think to look
under "Southampton Insurrection, 1831."

I'm curious as to how many other such oddities researchers out in VA-HISTland
have encountered, and what they are.

Just wondering,

Holly Wilhelm/Hodges/Mills
currently in Amherst, VA