From:
John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2019 08:24:23 -0500
MY ancestor Sir John Hawkins was a SLAVE trader in the 1500's. He brought slaves to the Spanish in South America. Brought tread goods to Africa, bought slaves , then sold them to the Spanish. NO slaves to the colonies, because there were not any colonies at this time. Hawkins is vilified in history as a slave trader, no mention of his efforts to modify the English war ships that we beat the Spanish Armada. Faster and more maneuverable.  Drake was also a part of the trades. Both died off the coast of what is now Puerto Rico in 23 Nov 1594, illness. He is also noted for military actions raiding Venezuela ports and shipping. He was knighted by Eliz I for making her a lot of money on one of his 'cruises'
SO yes the colonies did not have slaves until 1653, court case, defining slavery vs indenture.
John Philip Adams
Texas