From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2021 15:01:31 +0000
	I can’t seem to find a scholarly (or otherwise) account of how the 1870 Virginia Constitution was received by Virginia voters.

	I ask because in an 1872 letter in the NYT, Benjamin Ewell, president of W&M, explains his support for Grant in the presidential elections of 1868 and 1872; during the course of that, he remarks that

without his [Grant’s] aid the people would not have been allowed to vote separately on the offensive and rejected articles of the present Constitution.  The whole would have been adopted, and, as a necessary consequence , the State wold today be no better off than the worst governed Southern State.

	What I’m most interested in here is an account of the “offensive and rejected articles of the present Constitution”; what were they?

	Thanks for any and all help.

Terry L.. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus, The College of William and Mary, in Virginia, Williamsburg  23187

 Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.                 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."