From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:32:13 -0700
It is nice to see Mr. Southmayd rely on Dred Scott for his arguments.  Nothing like using good law to make your point.  But he gets the case wrong..  Taney said that no one of African ancestry could be a citizen of the United States.  This led to the oddity that persons elected to public office in Mass., Vt., NH. RI, and Ohio (and perhaps other places) were not citizens of the United States because they were of African ancestry.  It meant that thousands of non-citizens voted in elections; and oddly that some of the people who vote to ratify the Constitution -- in the 6 states where free blacks could vote -- were not actually citizens of the nation.  This is just one reason why no serious scholars or legal historians can put much stock in Taney's opinions on citizenship.

But, the argument Mr. Southmayd makes also falls down on another point.  He wants to compare slaves born in the US to illegal aliens.  Tthe difference is this.  Almost all Virginia slaves in the antebellum period were born in the United States; they were not born in Africa. Surely they are not "African slaves" having never been in Africa.  Being an "American" is not merely about citizenship.   Illegal aliens are not "Americans" because they are not legally here -- but of course slaves where legally here, and legally in Va. under Va. law. And most were born here.

----

Paul Finkelman

President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law

Albany Law School

80 New Scotland Avenue

Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)