From:
John Cullom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:45:06 -0400
I want to thank those who responded to my question about how my ancestor Thomas Cullum arrived in Surry Co., VA In the early 1700s.  There were some good ideas suggested & I especially like those that reinforced my own theory that he arrived directly from England.  Thanks a lot.

To continue this dialog can anyone tell me what these excerpts from the Albemarle Parish Vestry Book mean?

Between 1753 & 1774 Thomas was listed in the Vestry Book as receiving several allocations of money & grain from the parish.  Question: Why would he receive money &/or grain from the Parish?

Also, several people were charged by the Parish for the use of Thomas Cullum.  Question: what does "for the use of" mean?  Was he an employee of the Parish?

Also, Pettway Johnson (Thomas's brother-in-law) was paid for "keeping Thomas Cullum & family for 1769 and the spring 1770."  Question: what does "keeping" mean?

Thomas was apparently not a successful farmer for he & his son William were always in debt & in trouble for not paying their debts & he sold his farm to Pettway Johnson in 1769.  However, after Thomas's death his son William moved to Halifax Co., NC & in 1780 bought a large tract of land.  Maybe they were land-poor & had a cash-flow problem in VA.

John Cullom

Catonsville, MD