From:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:48:02 -0400
A friend of mine, a biographer, is earnestly trying to describe the exact
appearance/equipage of a toilet room/bathroom/water closet of the 1890s in
a boarding house on Capitol Hill. This is not a joke; she seriously needs
to know. I suggested dialing up LOC Prints and Photographs "toilet,
Washington 1890s"; or searching 1890s architecture journals; or emailing
the Architect of the Capitol for suggestions for sources. Can anyone
suggest a plumbing history source (a toilet expert?) with specific
knowledge of Capitol Hill plumbing? I say again: this is not a joke. Years
ago, on this list, the question was asked: what would George Washington
have used as toilet paper in his outhouse and the answer came -- corn
husks. So this list can answer anything.

HW