From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:56:36 -0500
Lyle and Kurt and all other interested parties:

In case you have not found this little gem, there is an eye-witness
account of the engagement between the Bonhomme Richard and the
Serapis (among other vessels) written by a crew member.  The aritcle
is an autobiography of John Kilby of Hanover County, Virginia written
to Thomas Ritchie in September 1810.   It is published in the July,
1905 edition of Scribner's Magazine, Volume XXXVIII.   The title of
the article is "John Kilby's Narrative."  It was annotated by August
C. Buell, who calls it a remarkably accurate account even though
written some 30 years after the events.

Kilby was a quarter-gunner for the *Bon Homme Richard( during its
engagement with the *Serapis* and at the surrender was one of the
three officers appointed to escort Capt. Pearson to John Paul Jones.

It was in this battle that the Bonhomme Richard was sunk, but the
Americans carried the day and seized the other ships in the battle,
including the Serapis, which Kilby calls in his account the "Sea
Raper", a  Yankee nickname for the Serapis.

Kilby's original handwritten manuscript is among the *Kilby Papers*
housed at the Library of Virginia, manusucripts and archives
collection.  The manuscript varies in only a small degree from the
published version in Scribner's Magazine.

For another account of his naval service, Kilby's Revolutionary War
Pension File at the National Archives are quite revealing.

Best of luck with this endeavor.

Craig Kilby (no known relation to this John Kilby, who was a son of
Thomas and Sarah Kilby of Dorchester County, Maryland, born 1758.)