From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:24:28 -0400
Craig you and all on this list deserve straight answers and you are not
getting it from AGR and from some other recent authors on this topic
mentioned on these web pages. How could you conclude anything
approaching truth from a quote on the front page of her book dust cover,
"....Sally who bore seven children by Jefferson over the course of a
thirty-eight year liaison?" What is WRONG with this you may
say.........well there is NO truth to it...she has NO proof of this.

The "we" in your question is the researchers of the Thomas Jefferson
Heritage of which I and others founded when we knew Monticello was
conducting a biased and one sided "research." Just imagine if you were a
Dr. Ken Wallenborn, employed by Monticello and chosen to sit on this
biased group and then have your Minority Report "swept under the carpet"
by Monticello President. Dr. Daniel Jordan and you KNEW you were right
to bring the facts to the public. And just imagine sitting in your study
when a senior member of the Monticello comes by, plops a paper down and
says, "NOW WE HAVE HIM." Does this indicate some type of preconceived
and biased mission? I heard of this deception, contacted the Thomas
Jefferson Memorial Foundation Chairman and asked for a clarification.
They have since DROPPED "memorial" from their title and we may ask just
WHO are they NOW memorializing? It was not long before Dr. Jordan had
apologized and then Dr. Wallenborn and two other senior employees
resigned rather that give the slanted information to the public through
the guide system. We must also remember that the Chairwoman of this
Monticello Search Group was a member of the Getting Word Project there
employed to "push" the slavery input there(go to the Monticello web page
under Getting Word to see their mission and who is on the board.)

We know because it is explained above. Their agenda is that in 1992 a
group of professors gathered at UVA where Prof.Peter Onuf (UVA) gathers
Slavery Studies and several foundations start supporting this research.
BUT your Monticello donations, attendance fees, etc. is used to sponsor
Prof. Onuf's Chair. Many of those mentioned in the AGR book gather for
annual forums and most write books that are not kind to Mr. Jefferson.
In the early years after the DNA announcement this group would move
around to various universities and paint those who would "dare" oppose
their handling of the DNA findings as "people who believe in the flat
earth policy" and other derogatory remarks. Yes, I have videos of
several of these gatherings. When I heard of the first held at UVA after
the release of the DNA results, I contacted Prof. Onuf in order to be
able to sit on the panel with Dr Foster, the Monticello representatives,
Annette Gordon -Reed, Hemings relatives and several of the same men
mentioned in her book who heap praise upon the book. He replied to come
on down and when I arrived he said, "sit in the audience and line up to
come to the open mike when we summons you. I was given permission by the
moderator, Mr. Julian Bond, NAACP Chairman and one of the members of the
Getting Word Project, to ask "one" question of Dr. Foster located about
fifty yards away. This denial of access to mikes and cameras
(censorship?) was later expanded by A&E Biography (who came from Chicago
to my home near Wash, D.C. and spent four hours that they promised would
be on a Sally Hemings Special they were producing.....NOT one word of
this interview was used. Another time PBS Frontline sent a crew from NY
to the Monticello Cemetery where I was requested to be interviewed for
their Sally Special program. Again the public did not see a frame of
this interview. Deny the camera and mike and THEY decide what the public
sees.......this is FREEDOM OF THE PRESS that Mr. Jefferson dreamed of??

For the complete transcript you may read the Scholars Commission Report
(13 senior scholars)from a link at www.tjheritage.org. Mrs. Gordon-Reed
even "badmouths" this blue ribbon panel.

Only covered a small part of this vast agenda and the public is the
looser. Are you and others going to demand that Monticello conduct
another study and this time use independent researchers and well known
authorities, NOT in-house personnel. Hold their toes to the coals!

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian

I really hate to get into this never-ending argument, but since
accusations are made, I would like some clarification.

On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Herbert Barger wrote:

> Thank you Neil for your keen observation of the planning, handling,
> scheming, by certain authors to convey these lies to the public. We
> know
> things originate from high on top of Mr. Jefferson's "little
> mountain."
> We know where certain authors go to "gather their brand of
> research" and
> we know WHY and by whom the agenda is perpetuated.

Who is the "we" in "we know"?  What is the "why" of their "agenda?"
What is the "agenda?"  Who is the "by whom these things orginate."?
It was also stated earlier that Annette Gordon-Reed had deliberately
miscontrrued and re-wrote passages from Jefferson's diary, and also
that of someone else.  Can you provide the correct transcript of what
was actually written and show us the "revised" version?

In order to make an informed conclusion about the veracity of any
work, it would be important to know the reasons why a work is
defective, flawed or even an outright fabrication.  This rock-
throwing doesn't really give much credence to either "side" of the
discussion.  Most of us out here just want the facts, and are quite
capable of drawing our own conclusions without unsubstantiated
invectives and (apparently) long-simmering rivalries.

Craig Kilby