From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 22:15:14 +0000
Does anyone know if there is biographical sketch or article on the son of Henry Wise, who was killed in 1862 at the battle of Roanoke (in NC).  I found this,
http://randomthoughtsonhistory.blogspot.com/2017/01/o-jennings-wise-editor-duelist-soldier.html
But wonder if there is something more.
I recently read a book referring to him as Richmond's "favorite son." There was no source for this claim, and I wonder what the basis would be for it.  He had been a diplomat and then editor of the Richmond Enquirer. Given that Wise (the younger) fought eight duels over two years (while his father was governor) I wonder if he was a "favorite son" of Richmond.
Help off list or on list is greatly appreciated.

------------------Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.Chancellor and DistinguishedProfessor of History
Gratz College
7605 Old York Road
Melrose Park, PA  19027