From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:09:36 -0700
Henry,
Thank you for your insightful response. I also have a question about the post 1865 records, and whether they were considered. I was raised in a community where the majority of families were intact.  I believe there are a combination of factors affecting the black family today. I can look back at least two generations and see stable black families. I was raised in a Mill Town in Pennsylvania,  and most of the men worked in the mill. There were also black Doctors, Dentists, and even a black hospital. Many of the businesses that we frequented were small black businesses.  We also shopped at the larger stores in the area, when necessary. Most of the Middle Class blacks sent their children to Negro Colleges in the South, or their sons went to the Military. I remember when my two oldest brothers left to go to the Military.  At that time it was a place to serve your country, and get an education.  My second oldest brother graduated from the University of London, and the University of Wisconsin, during his stint in the Air Force.

Things did change during the 60's not only for African Americans, but the society at large.

Anita