Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:43:56 -0400
From:
"Tarter, Brent (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Va-Hist and Va-Roots Subscribers:

Below, I forward to both lists a question that has recently been posted
to the early American history discussion list on H-Net. I must confess
that I have not seen the language referred to and suspect that it shows
up in private correspondence or in local records rather than, as the
question suggests, in formal land patents.

I have alerted Professor Paul Grady that some helpful commentaries may
appear on Va-Hist and Va-Roots. For the information of all of us, please
post any meaty commentaries or "for-instances" on Va-Hist or Va-Roots.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Please note the new e-mail address.

Please visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at
http://www.lva.lib.va.us

To  	[log in to unmask]
Subject  	QUERY: land patent terminology, late-eighteenth-century
Virginia

Hello all,

I have been asked by a colleague interested in land patents from various
counties in what is now West Virginia dating from 1773 to 1791 to give
some ideas about certain phrases she has encountered in her genealogical
research.  She wants to define what the particular phrases and terms,
"tomahawk rights", "rights in residence" and "preemption rights" mean in
reference to land patents of this period.  She has also encountered the
phrase "tomahawked his land" and in unclear on the meaning.

I haven't done much work on land grants or patents so I wanted to throw
the question out to the combined wisdom of this e-list to see if anyone
might have suggestions on definitions or guidance to a few monographs
that might assist in her search.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sincerely,

Paul Grady