From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:08:14 -0400
On Jun 18, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Anita Wills wrote:

> The picture is a depication of an event, wouldn't you say?
Well, no, that's not always or even most of the time the case. A
photograph is supposedly a snapshot in time, and a depiction of an
event, but that can be staged. Portraiture was often put together to
project an image of power and the old "Look at what I am" statement.

> Do you believe he put slaves in the picture just for the fun of it?
They're put in as depictions of stature for the owners, and as
commonplace background when not intended as anything projecting
power. Often the raw canvas that became portraits of the rich and
powerful were finished apart from the faces before the painter ever
saw the subject. Draw a background, add a person in high style
clothing and at the jobsite, add the face and presto, here's your
bill. If I remember correctly, the subjects could choose the
backgrounds and clothing from a fairly limited set.

> You and I both know that mining ore was not a white mans' job in
> Colonial Virginia.
It was for both. Hot, dirty, dangerous, yes, but not solely the
province of one or another. The unruly Irish were often miners and
much lamented for their boisterous behavior.

Lyle Browning