From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:59:23 +0000
I think John is right.

------------------Paul FinkelmanChancellor and DistinguishedProfessor of History
Gratz College, Melrose Park, Pa.
Mailing Address
48 Thorndale RoadSlingerlands, NY  12159
[log in to unmask]) 518-605-0296

    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 10:56:11 AM EDT, John RAGOSTA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 It is a complicated matter.

One way to approach the question is to look at his long-term views/statements on public education AND his statements over time on the issue of slavery. Focuses solely on the 1818-1825 period is too limited.

John A. Ragosta, PhD/JD
johnaragosta.com @johnragosta
Historian, Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies at Monticello
Fellow, Virginia Humanities