From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2020 13:20:17 +0000

 > Has there been anything written on the “college land”

I’m not sure I understand the query, but if this is about the Nottoway Plantation owned and worked by William and Mary in the 18th C., we were able to get some information on it several years ago:

https://scdbwiki.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Nottoway_plantation

Also several years ago I went through the College’s Bursar’s Books and Faculty Minutes into the 1860’s and noted every entry having to do with slavery at the College and indeed every entry concerning labor at the College (I tired to be inclusive ant thorough, but can’t certify actual completeness; and the transcriptions do contain errors).

Those are available at the Lemon Project Research and Resources site and they do include all the references I could find to the Nottoway Plantation (I was particularly interested in that because it is mentioned in only one history of the College, in 1907, I believe).   See the second and third entries from the bottom at

https://www.wm.edu/sites/lemonproject/researchandresources/resourcesandresearch/index.php

Terry L.. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus<http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/>, The College of William and Mary, in Virginia, Williamsburg  23187

Plant 8 trees for $<https://edenprojects.org>1       Or save several trees for free<http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html>       Or use the browser Ecosia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosia>

 Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.                 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."