From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:04:51 -0500
Let's not forget "the hookworm belt" in the south, bare feet picked
up hookworm eggs from the soil, it was terribly debilitating to both
blacks and whites who went barefoot and picked up the noxious
parasite. I wonder if the natives were afflicted with hookworms, they
don't seem to have been, since the earliest descriptions have them so
healthy and robust. Surely they went barefoot a lot. Was it a pest
introduced with European livestock and the penning of same in more
crowded conditions made the eggs more plentiful? It is also spread in
dogs and cat waste. Did the natives have a natural remedy they took
regularly that the Europeans were unaware of? In any case, it can
take a terrible toll on one's health.

Nancy

-------
Believe those who seek the truth;