Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:51:55 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
As an educator, I try to present a balanced view: like all of human
life, the experience of slavery ranged from a tolerable (perhaps even
happy) existence -- to the cruel and inhumane.  I think that most slave
experience was probably tolerable dullness and tedium -- repetitive
tasks, day-in-day-out routines, rather than a constant brutalizing.

I would also note that the nostalgic views of slavery must be read with
caution, through the context of Jim Crow segregation: most of the former
slaves who were interviewed in the 1930s were still children when
emancipation came and probably few had ever been fully integrated into
the work routines by that time.   Much of their formative experiences
would have been in the early years of freedom as many African-Americans
struggled to get their feet on the ground economically and many faced a
future of poverty or debt peonage.   Many chose to the remain with the
former plantation because their options were often quite restricted, but
the old masters did not continue the social support that had been
provided before and most plantaitons converted to variations of the
crop-lien, share-cropping system which trapped people (legally) on the
plantation.  By comparison, times may have seemed easier under slavery.
  But even so, I seriously doubt anyone could be truly happy as a slave.

David Kiracofe

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 03/02/07 8:05 AM >>>

Question-Do any of the educators in this forum who teach  history during
this
period mention the alternative view that perhaps the  majority of slaves
were
treated well and were not unhappy with their  status?  Just curious.