From:
Tom Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:06:11 -0500
Thanks to all of you for the very interesting parsing of "granting time".
I'm particularly grateful for the Spotswood quote and reminded of my
favorite Byrd quote (from _History of the Dividing Line_) to the effect that
the people he met in the frontier woods had '...lived there for generations
without benefit of law or clergy.'  He was good enough to bring clergy on
his return trip.

We don't have nearly enough information on who was out in the backcountry
when or where, and we really should encourage an archaeological emphasis to
tell that story as it is almost entirely undocumented.  We know there were
many living beyond the reach of law from earliest times and in increasing
numbers as indentures matured.  We don't know how many or where.

Can list members familiar with VA priorities and resources suggest if there
is a chance that this sort of subject will get serious consideration in the
near future?  And if it is a possibility, what would need to be done to get
such a large scale, long term project started?   I know they ain't pretty
but they sure are interesting folk.

tom