From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:40:20 -0500
Well said, Nancy!

On that vein, I am rethinking my story plot since I read the article on
Powhatan Women by Helen Roundtree.

Thinking of putting Pocahontas in a work group, perhaps of three, plus the
Reader. I suspect such a work group would include Pocahontas' mother, and
one other maiden about Pocahontas' age. I am open to suggestions for names
of the mother and the other girl. Thanks for any.

I think I will have them deliver some corn to trade at Jamestown, perhaps
three baskets of husked corn for a shovel and some pretties. The Reader will
help them negotiate the trade, since the settlers will ask for more corn to
trade for a shovel. John Smith may be involved in the trade.

The shovel is to be used in harvesting the tubers from the swamp, that are
used for flour when corn isn't available. Without a shovel, the women are
using brute strength to pull out the tubers.

With the advice from Helen Rountree's article, I will have breakfast from
the stew pot, and, after their return from the corn trade, they will butcher
meat to add to the stew pot.

I am uncertain if Pocahontas is living in the hut with her mother and
perhaps stepsisters, or in the house of her father, the Powhatan. At 14-15
she may be married and living in her own shelter.

Any suggestions from those who know more than I do.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert