From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:49:41 -0500
David,

    This is actually a very complex subject.  I do not know where to begin.
First, we have to separate the ability of the antebellum South to produce
foodstuffs from the distribution of those foodstuffs.  The South was
agriculturally self-sufficient in the antebellum era.  The question of
distribution is much more complex.
    Second, African peasant practices such as catching fish in baskets
rather than with poles, a labor saving device because one doesn't have to be
present to fish with baskets, probably supplemented protein intakes from
salt pork for slaves.  Maize supplemented with African greens (collards) and
American greens (mustard, turnip, and spinach) helped nutritionally balance
the slaves' diet.
    In the cotton South the chief difficulty would be to reserve land for
maize and kitchen gardens from the extensive clearing for cotton production.
Tobacco production being more labor intensive than land intensive, would
limit slaves' time devoted to food production than land so devoted.
    Maize itself can be a problem.  A maize heavy diet improperly prepared
causes pellagra, a Vitamin B3 shortage, which is debilitating.  It is clear
to me that blacks in Virginia and elsewhere learned to prepare maize
properly from American Indians.  I have seen evidence for this in Virginia
Southside after Emancipation (the source and description I need to keep to
myself until I publish the finding.)
    (UVA Press will soon publish Dr. Dianne Glave's powerful history of
African-American environmental history from slavery until the Progressive
Era.  Look for it!!)

    I'll stop here but there is so much to think about on this subject.
Perhaps the main thing to say is that the American South is agriculturally
one of the most blessed places on earth:  rich dirt, well watered, with
adequate timber.  The South has always had the potential to feed its
population and feed it well.  That it sometimes did not, that it became a
food importer after Appomattox is the product of its political economy not
its objective environmental conditions.

Harold S. Forsythe