From:
Hollis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:25:12 -0800
It probably stands for free black male if the notation
appears in 1850 or thereafter.

This notation interests me, as I've just finished
compiling free black tax lists for Norfolk.
Throughout some of Norfolk's early records (1833-36),
the commissioner used Mo, FMo or FB to identify free
people of color.

Then in 1850, a separate list was complied of free
black males over a specific age.  I'm still working on
verifying the ages of the males identified by
comparing them 1850/60 census data.  I think this list
and perhaps the land tax notation was in response to
the free black male capitation law.

Hollis Gentry