From:
Diane Ethridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:18:44 -0500
My 4th gr grandparents were Reuben WRIGHT who married Joannah/Anne GILBERT in 1798 Sussex Co. VA.  Since both of those families were large, influential & affluent, it seems a mystery to me why I can't find the families of origin of these 2 people.  Reuben's WRIGHT group were involved very early on with establishing the M.E. denomination in Petersburg,VA, Brunswick Co. VA & then over to Greene Co. OH.   Joannah's GILBERT group appears to have been in the area from early Jamestowne days.

I found an old document at the LVA stating that a Joannah (COOPER) GILBERT was awarded the Brunswick Co, VA estate of Wm GILBERT (these folks have to be my Jo's grandparents) her deceased husband, by the Crown, during the reign of King Geo II.

In this document, like in the First Charter of Virginia,  is mentioned a "Manor of East-Greenwich, in the County of Kent."   Is this "Manor" in CT or VA & why is referred to in this document?   Also, does the document itself, indicate any special kinship or affiliation with the "Founders" or original settlers of Jamestowne?    The writing is so tiny, I'm having a hard time making out exactly what it says and/or infers.

Thank you for any help,
Diane in TX