From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:17:04 -0500
Buttermilk gives to southern baking (and cooking) what cream adds to French
and northern Italian cuisine:  a light sweetness and the rich flavor of
animal fat.  Much of the flavor in food, as I am told by a gifted medical
anthropologist, is derived from what kind of fat you use, how high you heat
it, and how you heat it.

It is important to remember that southern cuisine was created for a society
where most of its members burned 3,000-4,000 calories a day without benefit
of automobiles, washing machines, and air conditioning.  The high caloric
and high fat content of southern cooking was part of its appeal to the
average southerner in say 1900.

If I had eaten the dinner my Virginia-born grandfather took down into the
Pennsylvania coal pits six days a week for thirty years, I wouldn't be here
to write to you.  For my comparatively sedentary way of life, about half of
the pork chops, greens, and yams my grandfather ate, with perhaps a bit less
meat and more vegetables is suitable.  But I still want butter on my yams,
vinegar on my greens, and real pork with a thin slice of fat on the lean for
the flavor.

Harold S. Forsythe