From:
Emily Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:38:15 +0000
Dear Randy -
       There are Dutch names in Jamestown fairly early on and people like
Gates and Dale had spent many years in the Netherlands, so musically they
would know and appreciate Dutch traditions. I think you can safely include
Dutch music from the beginning - but I don't think there were as many Dutch
as American historians often assume. BTW from 1621 there was a Sephardic Jew
and some Italian glassmakers, German/polish miners  and Spanish renegades
and a bunch of guys who coud do the Irish jig. There was also a servant born
in Persia, Africans from Angola and don't forget John Smith spent years in
Transylvania - I think musically you can have as much fun as you like :)