From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:40:25 -0500
These are very interesting comments, Kevin--thanks--on a very
thought-provoking thread.  It's good to see such a lively discussion of
an important subject.

A forthcoming book should shed valuable light on some of the issues
we've been talking about.  Eva Sheppard Wolf's Race and Liberty in the
New Nation: Emancipation in Virginia from the Revolution to Nat
Turner's Rebellion (LSU Press), a reworking of her doctoral
dissertation at Harvard that will be out later this year, takes what is
probably the most thorough look yet at the documentary record of
emancipation in Virginia.  Here's the publisher's description:

"By examining how ordinary Virginia citizens grappled with the vexing
problem of slavery in a society dedicated to universal liberty, Eva
Sheppard Wolf broadens our understanding of such important concepts as
freedom, slavery, emancipation, and race in the early years of the
American republic. She frames her study around the moment between
slavery and liberty—emancipation—shedding new light on the complicated
relations between whites and blacks in a slave society.

Wolf argues that during the post-Revolutionary period, white Virginians
understood both liberty and slavery to be racial concepts more than
political ideas. Through an in-depth analysis of archival records,
particularly those dealing with manumission between 1782 and 1806, she
reveals how these entrenched beliefs shaped both thought and behavior.
In spite of qualms about slavery, white Virginians repeatedly
demonstrated their unwillingness to abolish the institution.

The manumission law of 1782 eased restrictions on individual
emancipation and made possible the liberation of thousands, but Wolf
discovers that far fewer slaves were freed in Virginia than previously
thought. Those who were emancipated posed a disturbing social,
political, and even moral problem in the minds of whites. Where would
ex-slaves fit in a society that could not conceive of black liberty? As
Wolf points out, even those few white Virginians who proffered
emancipation plans always suggested sending freed slaves to some other
place. Nat Turner's rebellion in 1831 led to a public debate over
ending slavery, after which discussions of emancipation in the Old
Dominion largely disappeared as the eastern slaveholding elite
tightened its grip on political power in the state.

This well-informed and carefully crafted book outlines important and
heretofore unexamined changes in whites' views of blacks and liberty in
the new nation. By linking the Revolutionary and antebellum eras, it
shows how white attitudes hardened during the half-century that
followed the declaration that 'all men are created equal.'"

Those who attended the Virginia Forum in Winchester this past march
will recall Dr. Wolf's participation as a panelist.

--Jurretta Heckscher