From:
Trenton Hizer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:57:44 -0500
A variation of what Dougl Deal does in his classroom can be found in
"The View from the Bottom Rail" in After the Fact (Knopf) by James West
Davidson and Mark Hamilton Lytle.

Trenton Hizer
Sr. Finding Aids Archivist
The Library of Virginia

Douglas Deal wrote:

In my classes, I have students read and interpret what they believe to
be interviews with two different ex-slaves. The interviews present very
different views of the institution, but in fact are both interviews of
the same person (one by a young black man, the other by a middle-aged
white woman). We discuss the differences and the precautions one must
take in using interviews such as these.

Doug Deal