Date:
Mon, 15 May 2023 20:16:27 +0000
 Forgive me if this is off-topic, or even just arguably so, but this discussion today reminds me why I would bet that I’m not the only one who has a second reason to subscribe to this list: it delights and instructs even when the topic isn’t one of your own.
The story about worship in the forest beneath sound-capturing pot helmets may in the most important sense be wrenchingly sad, but in another way I just love it. And it was great that Mr. Wiencek anticipated and disposed of a natural worry when he added this reassurance:
The WPA narratives in *Weevils in the Wheat*, Perdue, include eleven
accounts from different sections of Virginia that mention the use of pots
to deaden sound.