From:
Ellen Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:16:27 -0400
Hi all, I am a new member of the listserve but would be greatly obliged
for any help you can give me.  I am looking for information on African
American life in Richmond during the 1940s and 1950s for my
dissertation project.  In particular, I am interested in 1) photos of
Jackson Ward and other black neighborhoods taken specifically during
this period, 2) written (thick) descriptions of black experience and/or
black neighborhoods in fiction or non-fiction (i.e. poetry,
anthropological accounts, novels or stories) from or referring to the
1940s/1950s or 3) talking with someone (perhaps a former tour guide?)
who has a rich knowledge of this period in Richmond’s history,
neighborhood life and architecture and who could give me information
specifically either about the urban geography of Richmond or about race
relations during that period.  Any help that you could give,
particularly any published, circulating books you could suggest, would
be very much appreciated and a great help to my research.   Thanks so
much,

Ellen Scott
Doctoral Candidate University of Michigan
Program in American Culture