From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 21:25:19 GMT
I have a book titled, Tuckahoes & Cohees (Sweet Briar College), which gives some insight into that period. One of my ancestors was part of a group in Amherst County, who met at the Old Keys Church in the late 1700's. They were Baptist and could not meet openly, but several Baptist Churches formed from this group. Prior to becoming a Baptist my ancestor was a member of the Episcopalian Church in Lancaster County. It is interesting that he had to leave and hide away to practice religous freedom. By the way, the Baptist during that period were against slavery.

Anita Wills

-- Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Randy;  You need to get over your paranoia about "yankee legends," and
while you are at it, read your texts more carefully; note Bradford writes:

Last "and which was not least," they wanted to lay a foundation for or
make some progress toward "the propagating and advancing the gospel of the
kingdom of Christ in those remote parts of the world."

This would imply that in fact religion was the most important reason for
the migration, as indeed it was.  The Plymouth Separitists left for
Holland because they could not worship as they wanted in England, but
after beng discoruaged by life in Holland (in part there was too much
religious freedom for everyone) they returned to England where  they
were just as unhappy.

The really important question is what you, or anyone else, means by
"religious freedom."  The Plymouth Separatists and moreso the Mass. Bay
Puritans were interested in eh free exercise of religion for themselves,
to set up a Godly commonwealth where they would be free from the
oppression of Anglican Church, but fo course they were not interested in
religious diversity or free exercise for other. In that respect they
were pretty much like everyone else in the world (except the Dutch).
The Va. colony did not allow any religious dissent either, and
vigorously oppressed religious dissidents.  Moreover, Virginia has the
clear dishonor of jailing Baptists ministers and other dissenters as
late as the 1780s.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman