From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:10:37 GMT
When this post started I mentioned that my ancestors fought at the Siege of Yorktown, and that many of the soldiers were Native and Free Blacks. I did not say that my ancestor, Rawley Pinn was a free black, and in fact he was Native, born in Lancaster County Virginia, in a place called Indiantown. The racial status of my family has changed over the generations and some are white, some Native, and some African American. In many of the records on my ancestor in Colonial Virginia, they are listed as Mulatto, a term given to them by Virginia's Colonial Government. In Fredericksburg, they are listed as Free Persons of Color. The reason that I am writing this message is so that those on the list who do not know, will educate themselves. My ancestors were not freed during the Revolutionary War, they were born free. Charles Lewis, my direct ancestor served in the Revolutionary War out of Fredericksburg Virginia, he was born free, as was his brother Ambrose. They were serving a Forced Indenture (specifically for Mulatto children), which was to end when they were twenty one.

There were Free Blacks and Natives in Virginia, prior to the Revolutionary War. I know it may be difficult for some to wrap their mind around that fact, but please try. It is difficult to have a discussion when one side throws out terms that are not relevant to the topic.

Anita Wills