From:
Robin Gabriel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:19:52 -0500
Please forgive me if this is a duplicate message - not sure if my first
attempt went through or not.

Ron,
Most of the responses have been similar to those that have been posted -
everyone is in agreement with the barrels, hogsheads, etc. My only problem
is that I need to know what a crate/box would have looked like. I know from
Jefferson's packing list that he used both barrels and boxes and the items
I am interested in came in boxes. Perhaps it might help if folks were to
know what was being shipped. To refresh memories of my original posting -
this was a shipment sent by Jefferson from Washington to himself at
Monticello in the Spring of 1806. I am interested in knowing what the boxes
would have looked like (we need to recreate them in a painting).

Box 22 - "elk horns. 2 pr. deer horns. 2. [ot?]ter skins. 1 wesel
prints. 2 of Birds. the Pope.  Mt. Vernon. [2?] of Niagara"

Box 24  - "Buffalo robes. leggins. bow.arrows. Mandan pot. horns Amononis
[I believe that this is a black-tailed deer] & Antelope.  cucurbite
lagenaria. [3?] bags peas. 10. lb. rice. 10. lb. pearl barley box. 4 3/4
lb. young hyson in cannister. 25. lb. raisins. a hamoc. magnet in box.
theodolite."

Box 25 - "Indian map. Indn. painting. [red?] [pipe  sto [ne?] 2. Indian
pipes. cucurbite lagenaria. legs of theodolite. seat & drawing board.  2.
prints for Dr. Evert"

Thanks for any help. Feel free to e-mail me directly if it is long.

Robin Gabriel
Director of Education
Monticello