From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:34:37 -0400
Might the citation to "Virginia Chronicle" somehow be a conflation of
elements in the title that appeared on the masthead of the paper you're
seeking.  While rummaging through Virginia newspapers and their
bibliographies (such as Cappon and Brigham) over the years, I've noticed a
lot of papers whose evolution involved couplings and uncouplings of
"gazette," "chronicle," or "advertiser" with other names and with each
other.  Augustine Davis's 'Virginia Independent Chronicle', for example,
evolved into something like the 'Virginia Gazette and Independent
Chronicle'.
   I tried to search the Newspaper project files at Library of Virginia's
website.  They ARE accessible through the main catalogue, but (correct
me if I'm wrong about this) the pull-down menus for search options on
the newspaper project's webpage invite searches by County, City/Town,
States, and other Countries - but not by Title.  "Chronicle" being such
a common word in book and other titles that a search in the main
catalogue would become unmanageable, it would be convenient if it were
possible to limit one's search to the newspaper project's findings.
But perhaps there is a way to do that of which I am unaware.....

Jon Kukla

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463