Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:09:35 -0400
Two questions arise from the following succinct letter from President Jefferson to Albert Gallatin, secretary of the Treasury, on January 13, 1807 :

     My on-line search of the Jefferson Papers via LoC American Memory has (so far) not turned up any letter FROM Gallatin that would seem to have prompted the response in the first sentence. There IS correspondence in December 1806 about Isaac Briggs, etc. The overall pattern of Jefferson-Gallatin correspondence in the archive suggests that Jefferson usually responded to Gallatin promptly (often the next day (and up to fortnight only after Gallatin sent him a huge file about the complex New Orleans batture case).

The appointment of a woman to office is an innovation for which the public is not prepared, nor am I. Shall we appoint Springs, or wait the further recommendations spoken of by Bloodworth? Briggs has resigned, and I wish to consult with you when convenient on his successor, as well as on an Attorney-General. Affectionate salutations.

           Image available at LofC American
           Memory/Jefferson Papers
           along with this transcription from
           Paul Leicester Ford, ed. Works
           of Thomas Jefferson. Federal Edition.)

1) Any suggestions for sources that might shed light on what (whom?) had Gallatin suggested that elicited this response from Jefferson?

2) Who / when was the first presidential “appointment of a woman to office” ?

Thank you

Jon Kukla