From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:44:17 -0500
Mr. Beardan, I attended an SOCV meeting several years ago in response to the
constant urging of my husband who was then a member. Whiile the official
part of the meeting was mostly about religion and patriotism to a lost
cause, the social times were heaving with "N" jokes. Scholarship and
intellectualism were not apparent. After a number of years of trying to
justify the SOCV as non-racist, only to be thwarted by the publications of
the organization and the information on their website during the tenure of
certain "commanders", my husband gave up his membership this year.

If you wish to assign me to a "side" on this :"issue", I am proud to
represent the side that favors a united America representing freedom,
equality, and respect for every one. I am proud to represent the side that
requires both majority rules with respect for minority rights. I am proud to
represent a nation under a changing constitution that can and has evolved
from the times in was written in.

I am proud of my ancestors, who tended to their farms during the national
crisis in the 1860's. They did not seek "glory" on the battlefield, but
continued in their responsibilities to feed the nation.

Anne