From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:01:18 GMT
England did not have large cotton plantations, and would have had to import their cloth. What English goods are referred to here? The tea came from India, and the coffee from South America, and Africa. My understanding is that the most prized tobbacco came from Virginia. The cloth came from one of Englands Colonies. I ask this question because many of the things we value as European, such as clothing, Swiss Chocolate, are actually dependent on imports to manufacture.

Anita Wills

Notes & Documents OF Free Persons Of Color: Four Hundred Years Of an American Families History;
http://www.cafeshops.com/leboudin.8596808, also available on CD ROM at:http://www.lulu.com/leboudin, and downloadable from site.

-- Andrew Means <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The distinction between Virginia cloth and that of imported cloth also
denoted the ongoing preference for English goods by many Americans,
generally thought of as better in quality than American manufactures.  In
1807, American manufactures were still behind England both in the quality
and quantity of goods produced, owing to the limitations on manufacturing
placed upon the American colonies in the 18th century, and were still
affecting the U.S. in 1807.  It was only in the early 1820s that domestic
textile production began to rival that of England, and then only in the
northern and mid-Atlantic states.

Andy Means

Graduate Student
University of Maryland