From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:17:29 -0400
On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 10:01 AM, John Weiss wrote:

> Can anyone help amplify a reference I have found in affidavits
> relating to
> the desertion of slaves to the British in the War of 1812? Several
> deponents
> refer to the burning in late 1813 of a building called the Pleasure
> House,
> apparently in Princess Anne County and on the beach of Lynhaven Bay:

It even appears on several maps of the era, right on the water.
According to all I have heard and read, it was indeed a personal
service industry structure to place it in the more modern and
impersonal vernacular.

As it was near to several projects, I had researched general background
histories of the county and if memory serves, it was mentioned in all
of them. I'd always thought it would be a fascinating excavation.
First, could the actual use of the structure be determined from the
artifacts, and second, given the proximity to global access, would the
artifacts so reflect. It may well be that it's now eroded into the Bay.

Lyle Browning