From:
Andrew Means <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:35:09 -0500
Jim,
  This doesn't work very often, but I did a google search on your word and
it turned up a possible match for you.  Below is the address of a quilting
listserve and three (among many) postings that discuss humhums among other
items.  Don't know if this is enough for your needs, but hopefully it can
point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Andy Means

Univ. of Maryland

http://www.quilthistory.com/2003/272.htm

Subject: came across this list From: "Candace Perry"
<[log in to unmask]> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:56:29 -0400

On a website that excerpted an 1830 book about Philadelphia. These are
materials that were for sale on the wharf in Philly sometime in the late
18th century. Any ideas on some of these wild names (quilted humhums?)?
Candace Perry Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center Tandems, isinshams,
nuns, bag and gulix, (these all mean shirting) huckabacks, (a figured
worsted for women's gowns) quilted humhums, turkettees, grassetts, single
allopeens, children's stays, jumps and bodice, whalebone and iron busks,
men's new market caps, silk and worsted wove patterns for breeches,
allibanies, dickmansoy, cushloes, chuckloes, cuttanees, crimson dannador,
chain'd soosees, lemonees, byrampauts, moree, naffermamy, saxlingham,
prunelloe, barragons, druggets, florettas!

Subject: Re: came across this list From: "Major Ma'am"

Candace, I recognized Saxlingham, it is a village in Norfolk, England. (East
Anglia area about 60 miles north of London.) It might be a particular weave
or type of material that came from there. I will see what else I can find
out about it, if possible and get back to you.

Becky In the High Desert Of California (dans le haut désert de la
Californie)

Subject: Marseilles Spreads From: "BOBBIE A AUG" <[log in to unmask]> Date:

Candace, These were called Marseilles Spreads because that is the port in
France w= here they were shipped from - not where they originally made. They
were = made in Italy but died out in popularity about 1400's. They were made
in= Provence, France and exported out of Marseilles because that was the
big= gest shipping port. These were the woven or loomed ones made on a
Jacqua= rd loom. They were not the earlier quilted ones. This is brief, I
know.= Just finished doing research for a book.

Bobbie Aug